Monday, March 31, 2008

Women's corner..

This tradition of 'Zenanas' dates back many centuries but is surprisingly still so common. Or maybe only in Punju homes that I mostly land up in. Basically, most of the friend's places we got to, when there is more than one couple invited, the women folk tend to retire to a part of the house separate from the male dominated living room. What age are we living in?

After I got married, all I wanted to do was to stick to P's side and not be sent to a different room with the women. Then I gradually started trying to fit in with the women 'cos most them thought of me as a snob who didn't want to mingle with them. The result was that I became even more sure of my choice to stick to with P at such dos.

Now I love girlie things. I love talking about shopping, manicures, pedicures, babies(well now I do), etc, etc. But what I don't like is bollywood gossip, maid gossip, next door neighbour gossip. What I hate is one or two women showing off their super expensive ( like a month's salary to us) bags with the same silly logo all over it or garish colors that are cool just because of such designer labels,etc, etc. What I completely detest is the other women flocking around these rich hens to admire and repeatedly admire the stuff over and over again. I can't stand it.

I rather discuss economy, the sub prime problem, business, etc. I don't pretend to know too much about all this stuff but conversations with the men is so much more engaging than the talk in the women's corner. What I really want to know is.. where are you interesting women of the world???

2 comments:

Nat said...

if you set your intention right, sooner or later they'll come into your life! one at least. thats how it worked out for me. till then I know how frustrating it is to sit with women like the ones you described. how teeth-grindingly irritating.

RaisingT said...

nat: teeth grinding is just the expression.. and keeping it low enough for them to not hear it :)