Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Support Tibet!!!

My tryst with Tibet began with Vikram Seth's travelogue 'From Heaven Lake' some years ago. I was completely mesmerised by his descriptions of this quaint little country and started reading more and more about it. What fascinated me the most was the resilient character of its people and culture. How even in their exile they had kept their language alive, their art forms still thriving and their religion attracting people from far and wide?
Another thing that disturbed me and shocked me when I became aware of the Tibetan situation was, weren't the days of imperialism over? I know the more aware and learned can tell me that we are all still ruled in some way or another, American hegemony, etc. But weren't the days when one country ruled another by sheer military force over?
If a set of people have been living peacefully with whatever level of modernisation they wish to, why can't they be left alone? Can you imagine living in a free world today that if a Tiebtan is found possessing a mere picture of The Dalai Lama it is enough to sentence him to prison?

Visiting Tibet features in my 'things to do before I die' list but only if it remains Tibet. A couple of visits to Dharamshala made me realize how the whole community seems to be in wait. Every restaurant has picture of the Potala Palace. Street corners and trees have pictures of a kidnapped Lama. It really feels like a town waiting to pack its bags and leave for their kingdom in heaven.
Please do whatever you can to support the Tibet Campaign against China. You can offer your support at : http://www.avaaz.org/en/tibet_end_the_violence/52.php?cl=66033783

1 comment:

surbhi said...

Thanks for the post.
I will do one too.