Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday To My Precious..

I have been writing a million letters in my head to you right from the day you were born. Initially, I wanted to tell you about all the hard work it is to raise a baby. To let you know of all the nights that your mum, your massi, your nani and papa woke up to tend to your needs. To tell the tales of the wet soiled nappies and those endless hours of feeding. I wanted you to know all this so you know that we did all this for you because we loved you more than anything or anyone in the world. We loved you since the day we knew of your existence, when you were just a tiny pea in my womb. I wanted you to know that we all were so happy and grateful to God for giving us the privilege to take care of you.
We all have come a long way from those first few weeks. You are so grown up already. You have a whole new personality of your own. You are so friendly and outgoing that it scares me. How will I protect you if you go on like this… trustingly smiling and greeting anyone you see, the road side beggar or the fancy snob aunty. You manage to make them all smile back. You stand on your own now and soon you will be walking. You have an interesting laugh of your own now and the silliest of things tick you off. And you have quite a will of your own too. I can foresee a lot of stubborn fights are in store for the two of us and I pity your poor father who will be caught somewhere in the middle.
Right now you have left your games and are standing by my shoulder and hugging me in the cute little way you do by placing your cheek next to mine. And now you have pulled of my glasses and it’s hard to know what I'm typing. Ok.. ok.. I know you want me to get off the laptop and be all eyes and ears for you. There finally you are diverted and I can resume.
I have to tell you of the guilt I go through. I am never satisfied with the amount of time I give you. I wish the day was longer. I feel I don't try hard enough or know the right kinds of food so you would eat more and gain more weight. I feel guilty for dragging you to work with me everyday and not giving you enough space to play there, for not taking you to a park often enough, for going on holidays or parties and leaving you behind. Also, for not combing your wild curls often enough and for making you go through an X-Ray before you even turned one. Also, at particularly blue times, for using pampers on you instead of pigeon, for not having a garden in front of our house to give you enough space to play, etc, etc .. I hope when you grow up you will not blame me for all this. You will probably have other things to blame me for.
You are quite a good looking baby and a charmer. In fact most people wonder and some are rude enough to say that you don’t look like our baby at all. What they fail to see is that you are lucky enough to have got the best of your mum and dad. The thing I fear the most is that all the attention you get because of your curls and smiles will spoil you. And you are quite the brat already.
Anyway, I want you to know that the past one year has been full of more ups than downs, a lot more happiness than sorrow and a lot of learning. I have grown up because of you. I have become a different person because of you.
I will always try to provide the best of everything to you. Going by my experience you will probably not understand or appreciate any of this till you have a baby of your own. That’s how life is.
I wish you all the good things in life. More importantly I wish you contentment. I hope you are lucky enough to know what you want, if not at 18 then at 28 or even 38 but it’s important that you eventually do and you get to do that. I hope you never forget how much you were loved and always will be loved unconditionally.

A Very Happy Birthday to you my love.. Enjoy the little party papa has put together for you..

8 comments:

~nm said...

A precious letter to your precious one! Very sweet indeed! God bless him and you!

surbhi said...

you're the best Mom ever!
lots of love to the three of u.

RaisingT said...

Thanks ~nm and nc..

Nat said...

Yo're a terrific mom. Just loved that scene of him pulling ur glasses off you...and u being so patient. Happy Birthday to your gorgeous son and you for one year of mommydom!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to T.

ps:- I can read your blog during office hours but cannot comment on them, and after office u know the madrush.

RaisingT said...

Thanks Nat.. still need to learn many more lessons of patience :)

BBM: Thanks a lot.. of course ..I know exactly what you mean..

the mad momma said...

you know - your son is gorgeous, with that mop of curls, that beautiful smile and that sunny disposition.

i know mothers worry - but you dont need to. he is the perfect weight, height.. everything.

an absolutely perfect baby.

hugs to little T. and congrats on the two of u surviving a year. the broken bones have arrived - welcome to life with a son!

RaisingT said...

Thanks MM.. ur a darling :)