Monday, April 14, 2008

For all the hard work...

Well... guess what, after my earlier rant about how tired I was and how I worked so hard all this week. My parents finally walk in and tell me that they think i don't put enough time at work. I start too late in the morning. Can you believe that?? I know I'm talking about my parents here but this is more than I can take. I have shed a lot of tears over the hurt that this caused me and now I'm plain angry.
My parents are not cruel to me or anything and I chose to work for my father when I had T for various reasons. But now I think it was all a big mistake. The main reason was that I always wanted to help my father with his work and give him some rest and peace of mind that he hasn't ever had. He is a hard working man who made a lot out of nothing by slogging all his life. I have always respected that and wanted to relieve him of some of the work burden and stress so he could have the time to enjoy what he has earned. I did not join him straight after finishing my studies because it seemed like the easy option then. I wanted to do something on my own, to prove to myself and to him that I was capable of surviving in the world and doing well. But I had always thought of helping him eventually.
As soon as I got pregnant, the time seemed right. I wanted the flexibility and the option of taking my baby to work. Also, I wanted less number of hours. This in no way meant that I wasn't serious about working. I have inherited his workaholic ways but I believe and fortunately have the choice to lead a more balanced life. I don't want to make a lot of money. I just like working.
Coming from a top fancy MNC to a business wasn't easy. I hated it initially and thought of quitting but didn't have the heart to do that to my father. I knew he was happy with my decision to join him. And most of my life has been about trying to please him. It was hard to deal with the kind of people that were there. Now about an year and a half later, I am finally more confident about my choice to work here. I know I am learning the trade well and am enjoying it. I am getting used to the idea of owning a business, of employing people, of building something. It felt good. I want to do so much. I want to change the old processes and most of all the way employees are treated. I realized I have a different way of working than my father and I thought it was working. I was hoping for some appreciation.
All this might seem strange to most people. And they might think why can't I just tell them all this. But I can't. I have never really had a real conversation with my parents. I don't know how to start now. Now, I just want to walk out of the whole thing but I wouldn't and couldn't do that. I just don't know how I will ever be able to come up to their expectations. I do my very best but I still fail miserably.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.