Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Navrataras...

How is it that I can not bring myself to type out a word when I'm absolutely free (vella is the apt hindi word here) and can't tear myself away from the blog when I'm in the middle of one of the craziest weeks at work??


Firstly about yesterdays post. It looks like its blown over though not sure of the consequences as yet.


So this is about the ongoing Navrata festival. I don't fast for nine days but I do give up non-vegetarian food and refrain from the consumption of alcohol. Every time I do this , especially since the time I got married and moved out, I think about the reason that pushes me to follow this ritual.


Strangely it is not religion or spirituality. I come from an extremely religious and spiritual family and I consider myself spiritual too but I've always stayed miles away from rituals. What this means is that faith runs deep in my veins, I believe in the existence of the Almighty. I address Him by the name I'm used to since childhood. I think of Him very often everyday. I visit the temple occasionally. My spiritual connection is a very important part of my life and helps get me through the tough phases in life. This is all there is to it.

I do not believe fasting will get me any closer to God. I do not believe that giving up meat or alcohol proves my faith. I certainly don't believe 9 days twice a year are enough to prove my faith if it needs to be proved.

The other widely claimed reason for people abstaining in Navratras is, health. They think these forced days of eating Satvik food will cleanse their systems. It is a good way to detoxify. Well, to each his own but again not for me. If I have to detoxify or feel the need to stop eating something after indulging excessively, I just do. No mater what time of the year.

After all this soul searching, I realize that I follow the Navratras for the sake of tradition. This being a tradition that carries sweet memories for me . No one is forcing it on me, I just choose to continue what I saw in my parents home for years and want it to be a part of my household and my children's lives. I enjoy the festivity that came with it. I cherish the days of Kanjak to culminate the Navratras. The halwa, puri - cholay and eating them for all three meals since there was always so much of it. The pooja where Mamma Papa would wash our feet and of all the other girls present for the puja. To wear something pink or red on that day (and some years black just to rebel :) ). I want to carry it on in some way and pass those memories to my children. This time of the year and these little rituals fill me with a warm, cosy felling of being in your parents home, of dressing up and gifts. I'm so looking forward to this whole month of festivals.
So wishing you all a lot of festivities and happiness ...

2 comments:

Piper .. said...

:) I`m not too religious either, although maybe a lil spiritual. I believe in 'The Mother' (pondicherry ashram) and it is this belief that helps me walk on. I dont really go to a mandir or do any kind of puja at home though. But its all in the mind, right? If i suddenly start frequenting a mandir, it wont alter my beliefs,will it? :) And just like you, I dont really believe in fasting. I dont do it, even during durga puja. My mom does ofcourse.But I thoroughly enjoy the festivities. But the funny part is that I have actually started keeping a karva chauth fast! :) something totally new for me! esp becos in Bengal we dont celebrate it. Havent seen anyone in my family ever do it! :)But I decided to go ahead with it. not for religious reasons, but just the fact that i like doing something feminine once in a while. I love the small rituals.I dont do it enough, i guess :) lets celebrate karva chauth together - i.e if you normally celebrate it as well.

RaisingT said...

You know I also celebrate Karva chauth.. again for the sake of the memories it brings back of the festival in my younger days.. lets do it :)